Sunday, December 17

25% done with grad school

So my first semester of graduate school has come and gone... and what have I learned?
I am terrified of speaking in public for fear of sounding like a complete fool.
I initially thought I was much smarter than I actually am.
I know nothing.
I need to learn something in order to "master" this topic.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a pessimist. I've had a wonderful first semester, although there were times where I wanted to cry at my assignments instead of actually doing them. I also learned that where I once thought I was so certain I would follow a particular career path, I am now considering other options that are seemingly disparate, yet quite connected to what I'd like to do.

I have some time off before entering my next semester which should be grand. Three out of my four professors have a reputation for being demanding, tough-graders who distribute exhaustive assignments. Fun!

The point though, is to learn, lest we forget. I just don't seem to like what I am learning about myself (see above) and need to do something about that. A part of me almost wishes I had waited before beginning graduate school. Life experience brings something into the classroom that no amount of hours at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble ever could. An imagination is a wonderful tool, but knowledge (in my humble opinion) is best learned through practice.

So, while I enjoy my few days of respite before the claws of my second semester reach my fragile frame, I'll be anticipating the second half of my first year of graduate school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home