Psychology & Social Issues at the United Nations -- My first task as a Graduate Assistant
I had one of the most exciting times of my life last night. I've recently been offered a position to work as a graduate assistant for the Dean of my university. For my very first "task", she invited me to a conference about Psychology & Social Issues at the United Nations.
Last night, I met some of the most influential people in domestic and international policy. Law-shapers and practicioners, psychiarists, psychologists, social workers, Professors, Administrators and graduate students. All of the best & brightest minds coming together to discuss today's global issues and how we can apply our expertise on an international level.
A professor from Pace University, presented a slide show from her trip to Southeast Asia. She visited Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Burma. And as someone else stated, "[she] gave a charming presentation on a less than charming topic." Her focus: Child trafficking. As an NGO representative for the U.N and Professor in NYC, she is putting together a publication to raise awareness on this very disheartening issue.
A forensic psychologist, from the University of Athens was there as well. She is currently working on one of the most famous cases in Greece regarding the abduction and murder of a young child by a group of older kids. She is only here for a couple of days and flies back to resume her work in Athens.
All together they discussed children's issues, women's issues, health issues, indigenous issues, social development, education (& access to or lack thereof), and mental health.
There were professors and researchers from Columbia, Pace, NYU, Hunter and Fordham to name just a few.
Aside, however, from the credentials and affiliations, these people are gathering for a common purpose - to better humanity. And for the first time, I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, at this moment in time.
Last night, I met some of the most influential people in domestic and international policy. Law-shapers and practicioners, psychiarists, psychologists, social workers, Professors, Administrators and graduate students. All of the best & brightest minds coming together to discuss today's global issues and how we can apply our expertise on an international level.
A professor from Pace University, presented a slide show from her trip to Southeast Asia. She visited Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Burma. And as someone else stated, "[she] gave a charming presentation on a less than charming topic." Her focus: Child trafficking. As an NGO representative for the U.N and Professor in NYC, she is putting together a publication to raise awareness on this very disheartening issue.
A forensic psychologist, from the University of Athens was there as well. She is currently working on one of the most famous cases in Greece regarding the abduction and murder of a young child by a group of older kids. She is only here for a couple of days and flies back to resume her work in Athens.
All together they discussed children's issues, women's issues, health issues, indigenous issues, social development, education (& access to or lack thereof), and mental health.
There were professors and researchers from Columbia, Pace, NYU, Hunter and Fordham to name just a few.
Aside, however, from the credentials and affiliations, these people are gathering for a common purpose - to better humanity. And for the first time, I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, at this moment in time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home