Sunday, November 6

A Wine Snob?

I recently signed up for an evening class at NYU that is all about Becomming a Wine Expert. No, it is not for elite snobbish purposes, it is for self-enrichment.

I had my first class last Thursday evening and just as I had anticipated I was the absolute youngest person of the bunch. Had I waited ten years before I signed up for this course I still very well may have been the youngest or closest to.

Upon first entering the NYU elegant Torch Club I couldn't help but notice the rich hardwood floors surrounded by extravegant chandeliers providing dim romantic lighting with light classical music conveying the most serene energy in the background. I looked down at my feet and thought to myself "Uggs, we're not in Kansas anymore".

I immediately felt out of place.

Once I got upstairs I was greeted by this English Butler (probably a direct descendant of Mr. Belvedere) and asked "Ahre yew hear for the Wine?". I very timidly said "yes". He then looked me up and down and I just know tried his hardest to keep a look of disdain from smearing across his face.

Upon finally entering the room there was a long rectanglular table laid out with 2 empty wine glasses each and a glass of water in between them. There was literature from a couple of wine critics and cartoons from the New Yorker.

I again felt out of place.

I couldn't help but think to myself "Maya, I think you've really gone in over your head this time. You really did it this time".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home