Friday, May 20

How Chivalry Died...Flush.

SO, I went on a date last night.

Horrific! What the hell happened out there? Dating used to be exciting and fun and where the butterflies in your stomach came from! I used to get such a thrill out of getting dressed and picking the right outfit, making sure my hair was perfect and looking forward to a fabulous evening with an even more fabulous human being.

I'd anticipate new conversations and an exchange of fresh ideas. The whole process of learning all about someone new was just so pleasurably edifying. A different background, a different upbringing, a different neighborhood, a different life. Then the best part always came along when the relationship (if given enough time to flourish) became intimate, and the persons idiosyncracies began to show, and you either loved them more for them or ran for dear life because of them.

Now it seems as though THE GETTING TO KNOW SOMEONE part has been rather quickly replaced with the GETTING TO KNOW MY BEDROOM part. Seems like men want to cut to the chase and just have sex. No intellectual conversation required, no exchange of ideas needed, no last names warranted-- just no-strings-attached- sex. Have common courtesy, decency and simple respect died? Since when has the period between getting to know someone and sleeping with them become so ephemeral?

ALL NIGHT I was being cajoled like baby being motioned to come hither to a rattle. I tried to smile it off, turn away, even roll my eyes but nothing worked! I even brought up POLITICS when he brought up SEX just as a real mood killer but it seems that he found a way to dance around my mundane topic to something a bit more epicurean.

Not to deprecate the once very fun act of dating but it's become a daunting task, unfortunately.

I think that while men were forgetting to put the toilet seat down all these years chivarly was being flushed down the toilet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hence why I don't date and just roll with the punches instead. Common stereotype is every guy wanting to get in the pants when some dudes just want someone to talk to and hold in their arms.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home